UIDAI was formed with the mission to unify the identifications of every Indian Citizen. The government has been very proactive and has received the immense response from the citizens. Recently, The Department of Telecommunication has taken Aadhaar a step further ahead. It has been made compulsory to link your Mobile number to your Aadhaar card; many telecom operators have been sending SMS to the users to complete the process of linking.
In you are yet to apply for the Aadhaar card (UID), you must do it now. Airtel, Idea, and Reliance have been notifying the users to link the Aadhaar card and the mobile number immediately. The initiative was taken to enhance the security of the mobile numbers and contain the Fake SIM count floating in the market.If you’re one of those who still don’t have their aadhar cards, then you may check aadhar status first.
DOT (Department of Telecommunication) has notified the telecom operators to discontinue the services to users who do not link the Mobile with Aadhaar card by February 2021. For availing uninterrupted services from your telecom operator, you must visit the retail store to complete the linkage. The orders were passed in February 2017 by Supreme Court of India. Under the ruling, it was deemed mandatory to link the Mobile SIM and Aadhaar card.
Are you buying a new SIM card?
As per the instructions from DOT, if you are buying a new SIM card, you much fill in the details through ‘eKYC.’ It is an Aadhaar based activation procedure that will ask for the bio metrics (fingerprints). You will not be issued a SIM card unless this linkage is completed.
Have an old SIM connection?
Steps to link your Aadhaar Card with your SIM Number:
- Visit the closest retail store of your telecom service provider.
- Carry you Aadhaar card (original and Copy both). Provide your mobile number details to the store executive.
- You will be asked to share the Aadhaar card details.
- The store executive will send an OTP to your mobile number instantly.
- The OTP received need to be shared with the executive.
- You will be asked to undergo the biometric verification process.
- You will receive a confirmation SMS of Aadhaar linkage within 24 hours.
- Make sure you reply to the SMS with a ‘Y.’
Mandatory documents for Aadhaar mobile linkage process:
- Original Aadhaar card and a self-attested copy of Aadhaar card.
- Your active SIM card.
- Make sure the SIM should be registered in the name of the Aadhaar card holder only.
- OTP you receive on your SIM.
The process is simple and must be completed before February 2016. If you have any more queries regarding the process, refer the guide below.
- I want to complete the linking process online what would be the procedure?
It is not possible to link the Aadhaar and mobile number online. The person in whose name the SIM is registered needs to visit the authorized retail store of the service provider and provide the Aadhaar card and Biometric information to complete the process.
- What will happen if I do not link my Aadhaar and Mobile number before February 2021?
If you want to keep your SIM card activated, you must provide your Aadhaar card, and biometrics at the retail store of telecom operator else the services will be deactivated and even the telecom operators will not be able to restore it as per DOT guidelines.
- I am buying a new SIM do I need to go through the same process?
A new mobile connection will ask for an Aadhaar card based eKYC process to be completed. Although the process is not same you need to by SIM in your name if you are providing your Aadhaar card and provide your biometric information.
- Is there any fee to link Aadhaar card and Mobile number?
No, there will be no pay any fee for linking your Aadhaar card and mobile number even if you are buying a new SIM or linking an old number now.
- What are the ways to do the linking process?
The telecom services providers are promoting the ruling by DOT by providing some convenient ways:
1) OTP based verification at retail store
2) App-based verification, make sure you download the Govt App.
3) IVRS based verification process, but you will still have to visit the store for completing the verification.
4) Senior citizens and people with disabilities will receive door to door Aadhaar and mobile linkage service.
Irrespective of the location where you purchased the SIM from, you can visit your telecom operator in any city.Mobile number and Aadhaar linkage has been initiated to bring the citizens of India closer to the government.